THE ORDEAL OF A JOB SEEKER



The unemployment rate in Nigeria is something that has become alarming for years now. Considering the rate at which schools are producing graduates day-in, day-out. And after graduation, the next step as a Nigerian youth of course is to go and serve your fatherland.


After a one year heart, body and life dedication to serve your fatherland, you join the race, the clique of unemployed youth, well we popularly call it favour market. Don't blame us, as there is power in the tongue! Now, quarterly there is an average of 15,000 youths passing out of the youth camp entering the labour market. With that, you should expect about 50,000 youths pumped into the labour market on the average, in a year. But the question is where are the jobs? Who is holding the jobs? Yeah, they say u shouldn't look for a job and start doing your own business, but the question is who will succeed the current MD DG, and the so many Gs and Ds we have today?


As job seekers, unemployed youths, there are so many ordeals which we go through. I personally, I get mails every day from HR sites, each of whom alert me with over 50 job vacancies you can apply for online, but when you try applying, you end up receiving mails from such companies that, there is no job opening in their company, refute such information, this is what I've personally experienced.


The one that actually baffled me, see, if you're desperate in job search, you'll see things that in your normal day is a freak out, as something worth considering.
Let me share this with you.
About some years ago, I was in search of job, at least to keep up with myself for the time being. But to no avail, you know how difficult it is to get a job in the federal capital territory of Nigeria. Then, a friend told me about a new company in town into production and manufacturing... He gave me the lady number, acclaimed to be the HR officer for the company. So, as a sharp guy, I put a call through, chai, the bae set for phone... "definitely this bae is under the AC" I thought within myself. Well, HR Officers should always be under the AC, isn't it?

She said I should come with my CV, and all my credentials for an interview the next day. I was so optimistic, finally, I was gonna get a job! Why? Cos I've thought within myself, "guy you must give it all you've got". With that euphoric feeling, I told my big bros, him and his friend, I know when they see this, they can still relate. Lolz ... So that night, I took out my very good shirt, with my pant trousers, of course you should know what I want to do na... Lol.... Give am better ironing! Lol... Got a tie to match with it, went to print my CV, arranged my credentials.

The next day I set off for the company with loads excitement at the same time, tension. I was calling the lady she was directing me, within me I was like, mehn this lady is a Godsent, see the way she gave me a angelic attention, within I said when I start working, I go buy her gift as appreciation. Finally I got the place, a complex around zone 3 in Abuja. I saw loads of people outside every where.


Then I was like, mogbe, no be only you waka come! Are all these people too here for the interview? Yet I never lost my hopes, it's normal for recruiting companies, right?.
We were told to come upstairs, hmmmm... They've prepared a hall for all of us. Yet I was like maybe they'll be calling us in one after the other. Hmmmm... That was how they started lecture oo.. I was like, lecture ke? Then they started telling us how much we'll make over the period of 3 months, that we'll be smiling to the bank. I was sitting down, looking at the lady, she was looking at me, and I was giving her an hearty-curse. You better don't point finger at me, if you were in my shoe, I know you'll do worse! From 10am to 3pm , the kinda lecture that even during my undergraduate I no receive such lecture. I was keeping my cool jeje o, until they now said I should come and pay 6500, to buy and be selling drug up and down. Chisos! Im withholding the name of the company, #wink ... Then I'll be initiating other people too, they wrote out the formula.

My boiling point was the same with the water on the gas cooker! After the lecture, they said I should bring my money, I said if I get 6500 I'll add small money and become a corporate recharge card seller, ... Lolzzzzzz... They were like, ehn OK, I should drop half and come pay the remaining next week, I was like half o, quarter o, shishi, I don't have to drop!... They even said 1k...that was how I with an exhilarating spirit mixed with a sulphuric acid and tetraoxosulphateXI... Which equal ANGER! I left there! Getting home, my bros asked me how was the interview, I couldn't talk that moment until I slept, woke up to narrate the ordeal that befell their younger brother!

One thing is, let's just be careful about our job search, when you get any invite from any company, the first thing you do is to Google the company out and see if it's genuine, ask friends and family. Apart from, you falling into the hands of those that want you to be selling drugs up and down, they could be ritualist, scammers and the likes. So before you go for any interview, verify thoroughly!



God bless our Youths! God bless Nigeria, God Bless Africa. God bless the World!


Get other people's ordeals from their quest for gainful employment (in pictures):










Comments

I enjoyed the read... 😹😹😹

Popular Posts