" I DON'T HAVE A FATHER": a Facebook user narrate his ordeals.

When we were talking about the state of our education ststem, a Facebook user took to this social media platform to narrate his ordeals.


"My name is Caleb but my friends call me "bad-d" which means a bastard. If I had my own way, I would have been born by Mr. Rasaq, the popular chain smoker. At least having one irresponsible father is better than having none. My nickname became popular than my name which at times clouds my mindset. Call me Caleb, I may not answer you on time but call me "bad-d", instantly I know you just called me. It all started from my secondary school when the English teacher Mr. Tunde asked us to describe ourselves. 

'...you mean you don't know your parent?'
" yes sir, I don't know if they are still alive, but my grandma said they both dump me at  her doorstep some 13 years back and since then, she hasn't seen them."
' do you know what and who a bastard is?'
"Yes sir, someone who do not have a Father " I replied.
''Yes, both father and mother and who do not know his/her parent like you".
''Like me?'' I asked back,
'Yes like you. Which means, you are a bastard'.

Amidst the seventy laughter's that filled the air of the Jss 3 class of college community school, I cried.

'Class we have a BAD-D, aka bastard'. 

The class went wild with another round missed with laughter, mocking and booing as the stupid teacher left the class.

Oh! I wish I wasn't born to experience today .

Oh! I wished I can just kill myself now."


Having an abusive teacher, professor, or any type of educator can be very scary and is something that is very difficult to deal with. Abuse is not acceptable and should be stopped immediately. If you are a victim of an abusive teacher, it is important you receive the help you need as soon as possible for your own safety, health, and well-being. The truth is, I've once had the opportunity to teach, and one of the major challenges of some unprofessional teachers nowadays. I could remember I had the same problem experience in my secondary days, I use to have this particular Yoruba teacher, I'll withhold the name, this teacher comes to class and do nothing but to curse and abuse we students in the class, irrespective of how bad a child or children could be, abuse/curse is definitely the unthinkable. It definitely won't change such a child, but trust me, it could worsen the child's current behavioural disposition. I even prefer beating up a child than abusing such a child. Let's put aside the spiritual effect, the psychological effects of this attitudinal disposition on the part of teachers or guardians is unacceptable. Children gives back to the society what the society must have given to him/her. I've heard of a teacher whose because of this kind of attitude made some parents to withdraw their children from that particular school.


Recognize what verbal abuse is: Some people may find it hard to define what verbal abuse is and will often dismiss harsh words as a form of tough love or as a strict teaching method. In some cases, people even give excuses as to why verbal abuse is acceptable. For example, verbally abusive teachers might blame a student's bad behaviour, attitude, or ineptitude to justify verbal abuse. Some examples of verbal abuse include:

Belittling: This type of language "puts down" a victim and invalidates their opinions or feelings, making them feel insignificant and even stupid. Abusive teachers might say to you, "You always have something to complain about" or "You're so stupid. You can't do anything". Just like the example of mine own experience of the Yoruba teacher.

Countering and correcting: Someone that is countering or correcting in an abusive manner will do anything to oppose the child's reality, thoughts, and opinions - even when the child is right. For example, if you confront an abusive teacher and tell them to stop, they might say, "You're crazy. How am I abusing you?" By denying their abusive actions and your feelings, abusive teachers remain in control over the situation and over you. I've seen students who have personally taken laws into their hands and attacked such teachers. 


Abusive jokes: These jokes may be funny to others but they are often told at your expense. You may hear jokes making fun of your gender, your appearance, or your mental and physical capabilities. By making others laugh, an abuser maintains power and receives confidence and validation from others.

Calling you names: This type of verbal abuse is the easiest to recognize. If your teacher is calling you an idiot, bitch, slut, stupid, ugly, fat, or any inappropriate and hurtful name, then they are verbally abusing you.


DISCUSSION: is it proper for a teacher/guardian/an adult to call a child a bastard? Even when he is? Or even give physical abuse on such child?

Comments

Popular Posts